SELF GUIDED: KUMANO KODO | JAPAN
Package is 9 days, 8 nights price is $2,399pp
Journey to the southern region of Japans Kii Peninsula, an ancient and mysterious land where pilgrimage and spiritual training has occurred for centuries.
You will follow the Nakahechi Route from Takijiri-oji on the Kumano Kodo, into the mountains all the way to Nachisan. Hiking the entire Main Route, plus Dainichi-goe, Kogumotori-goe, and Ogumotori-goe sacred trails, a distance of approximately 75km over 6 unforgettable days.
Enjoy walking with a daypack and have your main luggage transferred daily to your overnight accommodation.
At each mountain village you will stay in varying traditional-style accommodation and dine on lovingly prepared Japanese style food.
Dual Pilgrims and adventure seekers, immerse yourself in 1000 years of Japanese culture and history on this self guided journey!
Self Guided Booking Enquiry
Active trip, including moderately challenging hikes.
Date: By arrangement
Type: Self Guided
Group Size: Up to 12
Investment: $2,399 per person
Start Wellington, NZ
Finish Wellington, NZ
Country New Zealand
Type Self Guided
Physical Rating ♦ ♦ ♦
Group Size Up to 12
Investment $2,799 per person | twin share
None included. Flights can be arranged, please contact us for details.
All meals provided as per the itinerary
B x 8, L x 6, D x 7
Airport transfers can be arranged, please contact us for details
8 nights accommodation
6 days of scheduled walks, plus some sightseeing days
Please note itinerary can be subject to change at anytime and can be tailored to suit your needs.
- Non refundable deposit is $500 per person is payable within 7 days of booking, final balance due 60 days before departure. Payment plan available, please enquire.
- Itinerary and price subject to change at any time. See full terms and conditions on our booking form.
A moderate level of fitness or greater is required to complete the various walks. You should be able to walk up to 8 hours (25km of hilly terrain) with a 35 litre backpack.
- Big Heart Adventures ioMerino top and Big Heart Adventures Buff
- Big Heart Adventures training program
- Hiking the Kumano Kodo – Nakahechi Route
- Accommodation – 2 nights twin share in Tanabe
- Accommodation – 6 nights twin share room traditional Japanese Style along the trail
- An Onsen (Japanese bath) is offered at each night’s accommodation
- Main luggage (1 bag per person) is transferred each day to your overnight accommodation
- Visit all 3 Great Shrines
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, dinners) as per itinerary for the duration of the tour – Japanese Style
- Japanese phrase book
- Map and Guide Book
- Local bus and train journeys – budget approx $50 for these payable locally only
- International flights
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance
- Meals and drinks not stated on itinerary
- Items of a personal nature such as medications, phone calls, laundry, drinks, etc
- Optional activities offered outside of the inclusions
Self Guided Booking Enquiry