Big Heart Adventures acknowledge the Traditional Owners of Country and recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and culture. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
We are Big Heart Adventures, a family owned walking company specialising in wellness walks and tours. We are based in Adelaide, South Australia. At Big Heart Adventures we aim to improve the world through travel. Each walking tour or event aims to raise community and self-awareness as well as raise funds for our chosen charity. Our people are big-hearted, adventure-loving, and experienced travellers and trekkers.
What we do is connect people with themselves, the natural environment, and the walking community. We do this by providing authentic walking / hiking / trekking experiences locally and abroad, with a focus on participant well-being, fitness, and confidence building. A strong emphasis is placed on personal development and positive mental health outcomes through nature immersion. Our wellness walks and tours cater for all abilities (beginner level to advanced trekkers), so there are plenty of options available and no pressure.
All our events, walks, and trips fall under one of the following headings;
- Wise Women Walking – This is our women’s walking group program with a theme of ‘Find Yourself, Be Yourself, Challenge Yourself’.
- Challenge Treks – These are our hiking and trekking trips that cater for both men and women, with the theme ‘Challenge, Discover, Fulfil’.
- Private Groups – Is where we offer wholesale to agents, private group bookings and customised itineraries for all our wellness walks and tours.
It was in 2015 that Big Heart Adventures was born. Starting life as a customer focused small travel agency run by Lisa Murphy from the family home. Lisa’s passion for active travel and wellness tourism quickly saw the agency specialise in this niche market. At this time it became apparent that there was a need to provide opportunities for those looking for active adventures but lacked the experience, skills, or confidence to safely give it a go. Being experienced trekkers Lisa and her husband Ian set out to provide others a pathway to their walking goals, while having a laugh, making new friends, and re-charging mentally along the way. Big Heart Adventures’ focus was and still is today, to provide the best opportunity for people to grow personally while reaching their walking goals.
Big-hearted, Adventure-loving, High-spirited, Inspiring…….
Heysen Trail Hero
- Connect people with themselves and the natural environment, while improving their mental well-being, self awareness, and their fitness.
- Offer socially conscionable travel experiences with an active element or challenge.
- Encourage women new to bush walking and hiking to develop skills, knowledge, experience and confidence to take on more active challenges and adventures.
- Provide a whole package experience that includes pre-travel support and fitness, transport, unique walking tours in South Australia, interstate and abroad, accommodation, well-being and giving back.
- Enhance unique cultural experiences that foster healthy active travel habits, encourage self-discovery and heightened cultural awareness.
We choose to support lesser known charities and support agencies that do amazing work in the communities we visit.
MOSH Australia ‘Minimisation Of Suicide Harm’ is a self-funded community support agency in Adelaide, South Australia.
Dedicated to creating mentally healthy communities through a sense of belonging and connectedness.
All activities and support services offered are free. They include suicide bereavement support, Living Hope Suicide Bereavement training, and providing friendly comfortable spaces for reflection, community arts, crafts and activities.
HDFA Himalayan Development Foundation Australia works with local partners to support Nepalese people in remote, rural communities to better their lives in the ways that works best for them. We stay small, choosing to provide slow, gentle, long term support for just a handful of areas.
Up until 2015 we had focused on a few villages in the Kanchenjunga region of Eastern Nepal. With the devastation brought by the earthquakes of 2015 we have broadened our approach initially through emergency relief with new partners PHASE Nepal. We recognised early on that PHASE hold virtually the same principles and values as we do and so have continued to grow with them, supporting further post-earthquake reconstruction in Sindupalchowk and now moving to a long view program in this same District.
After month’s of exploration we have, with guidance from local government and other agencies, started to support people in the Village Development Committees (VDCs) of Baruwa and Bhotang in Sindupalchowk. We’re starting with what we know is needed, a boost to the existing health services, through placement of qualified, experienced health workers who will support government counterparts.
We’re also supporting a PHASE development officer to be eyes and ears in the villages, working with people to quantify their needs, their aspirations, their strengths and their concerns so together we can develop a robust, fit-for-purpose plan. It will take a year to get to know each other and map a way forward. We’ll listen well, add our expertise and together create a better future for these hard-hit communities.
Why Book With Us
- We are a family owned and ethical business, giving to community support agencies locally and abroad.
- We are passionate, knowledgeable and experienced travellers and trekkers.
- Being South Australian we specialise in South Australian wellness walks, tours and experiences.
- Being the biggest isn’t important to us, we provide quality over quantity.
- Your success in achieving your goals is what drives us.
- We respect the natural environment, indigenous significance, and the destinations we travel to.
- Its always more than just a trip, with your journey starting as soon as you book with us.
- Our head office is conveniently located in the CBD and in the heart of Adelaide’s retail adventure district.
What are Wellness Walks and Tours ?
- Wellness Tourism can be defined as travel experiences that provide opportunities to maintain or improve personal wellbeing. Our wellness walks and tours are designed with this in mind, from both a mental and physical perspective.
What about COVID-19 ?
- We have procedures in place to prevent exposure and limit the unlikely spread of the COVID-19 virus or similar contagious respiratory viruses. These procedures take effect prior to the start of all our walking tours, trips and events. We comply with all Government advice and conditions imposed. It is a requirement that all staff and participants answer a questionnaire to determine their recent likely exposure to contagious viruses. We take the temperature of all attendees, practise physical distancing, good hygiene, and carry out cleaning of surfaces.
Why do you charge for day walks ?
- The amount we charge is to just cover our expenses including insurances. These expenses go towards ensuring the safety of all participants. Therefore all our day walks are guided by our paid Outdoor Leaders. Our leaders are experienced, qualified bush walkers and undertake certified remote area first-aid training regularly. We do not use volunteers, so if there is an incident our leaders take responsibility for managing the situation and your well-being. We are also required to pay Government fees for everyone that walks with us in a National/Conservation Park or Reserve. These fees go towards the maintenance of the trails we walk. Please note for new walkers with us, we do offer a free walk on the first Wednesday and Saturday each month.
Do you have hikes for men ?
- Yes, we offer mixed day walks on bush trails and our Urban Walks and Challenge Treks welcome men. Keep an eye on our events calendar for details about our wellness walking tours.
What if bad weather is forecast on the day of the walk?
- As the walking season is during the cooler seasons in Australia, rain and cold weather is expected. We obtain up to date weather forecasts and inform our walkers on what conditions will be encountered and what gear will be required. If extreme weather warnings are issued that pose a risk, we will cancel the walk and provide refunds. The same process applies on our walking tours.
What if I am too slow and hold everyone else up?
- We want everyone to experience the benefits from walking. That is why we provide day walks and walking tours, hikes, and treks for all abilities and fitness levels. Everyone walks at a different pace so our Leaders are trained in managing group walking. Our pace allows us all to talk, laugh, and appreciate our surroundings….after all we walk for wellness.
Will the walking pace be too slow for me because I am a fast walker?
- We do allow group members to walk at their pace especially when going uphill. However for safety we will require everyone to regroup at regular intervals and at trail and road intersections. We recommend carrying extra weight in your pack. This will create a more challenging walk and reduce your pace.