SA | Melrose (Nukunu) Gorges and Grapes
Join Wise Women Walkers on our Melrose walking tour Weekender. For trails less travelled and the chance to summit Mt Remarkable.
We explore gorges, forest and rocky scree on this adventure with easy to moderate hikes over 3 days.
All meals are included plus a Devonshire Tea and Outback winery visit with tastings.
This trip is perfect for those wanting to connect with the gorgeous landscapes of the Southern Flinders on Nukunu Country.
Professionally led by our qualified and experienced outdoor leaders, ladies, it’s time join us on the trails!
Small group multi day Melrose walking tour for women involving day walks and comfortable accommodation each night
- A good level of fitness is required to walk on the trails on this trip.
- We will be walking with day packs carrying up to 5kg.
- You should be able to walk on a variety of surfaces: undulating trails, long gradual uphill climbs, loose rocky paths and uneven terrain up to 6 hours.
- Our longest walking day is 15km.
Our drive today will start at 7am from Adelaide CBD (we offer central and CBD hotel pick up). We head north to the southern tip of the stunning Flinders Ranges where we explore the beautiful and lesser known Telowie Gorge on Nukunu Country. The walk is not a long one but can be a rocky adventure in parts. This dry creek bed winds up through the gorge itself where we may spot the elusive and endangered Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby.
We allow an hour here to walk and connect with this ancient place before we head to Blesings Winery for a unique outback wine experience! After tastings we enjoy mouth watering scones and tea/coffee. From here we travel to nearby Wirrabara Forest for a 6km (90 minute) walk to Mt Ellen. There are gentle climbs on this walk through recovering pine forest (destroyed in 2014 bushfire) and native scrub with incredible 360 degrees of the ridgeline separating us from Telowie Gorge and surrounding area once up top.
It’s on to Melrose where we check in to our accommodation with time for sundowners out under the gum trees and by the campfire with a Welcome to Country. A delicious 2 course dinner is prepared by your leaders while you kick back and relax with your fellow Wise Women Walkers.
Walking distance: 2km + 6km
Meals Included: lunch, winery tastings, Devonshire tea, dinner, snacks
This morning, after breakfast, we head onto trails to the summit of the imposing backdrop of the town of Melrose – Mt Remarkable.
The trail is a consistent uphill climb over rocky terrain at times and scree slopes. It’s lunch at the top (weather permitting) as we allow 4-5 hours to complete this 15km adventure. The downhill winds us slowly down the to the mountain bike trails before walking through the caravan park and back into town. The town of Melrose is well worth a wander – with historical buildings and heritage sites, including an old brewery (due to be reopened in 2021!) this town is steeped in pioneer history.
After our summit hike today you can choose to walk a short circuit of the Nature Hike at the base of Mt Remarkable, visit the Heritage Museum to learn more about both First Nations and Pioneer History (entry fee included), opt for a guided tour with local historian Shaun or just relax and settle in with a book under the trees at our accommodation.
We enjoy sundowners and dinner by the campfire tonight.
Walking distance: 15km Summit Hike + optional Nature Hike 2.6km
Meals Included: breakfast, lunch, 2 course dinner, snacks, evening nibbles
Our final day in the southern Flinders takes us to yet another Gorge! This time it’s Alligator Gorge just north of Melrose. A spectacular gorge with narrow walls and a terraced (rocky) floor, we explore each end of the Gorge walking a circuit in 2 hours. This ancient land formation includes fossilised rocks showing oceanic evidence of when this area was part of an inland sea. A simply beautiful place to connect with an era that oozes age and wisdom. The gorge flows after heavy rains and seasonally so at times the walk cannot be completed in full. Rest assured there are lookouts to enjoy, nature connective activities for us to enjoy and part of this walk can be completed outside the Gorge itself.
We then make our way south, calling in for wine tastings at another uniquely Flinders winery: Bartagunyah Wines. We enjoy lunch at the unique Stone Hut Bakery with gourmet pies and pastries as well as their famous quandong tart (if in season) before making our way back to Adelaide. We should arrive back to Adelaide between 5 and 5.30pm.
Walking distance: 4km
Meals Included: breakfast, winery visit and tastings, snacks
Please contact us before booking flights if you are joining us from interstate.
- Read terms and conditions before booking
- Itinerary and price subject to change at any time
- Travel Insurance is recommended – click here for a quote from Covermore
- Group share rooming applies, single rooms are limited, surcharge of $200 per person
- Note weather, group member welfare and a range of circumstances outside our control can mean last minute changes to our itinerary are necessary once on tour
- Private transport to and from Melrose is included from Adelaide, with multiple pick up points available in transit
- Please contact us before booking flights if you are joining us from interstate
Gear you will need:
- Rainproof jacket and pants (this is a must if wet weather is forecast)
- Backpack 35 litre
- Water bottle/hydration kit
- Personal medications
- Clothing suitable for bushwalking that is quick drying, warm layers if chilly
- Sun protection such as hat, sunglasses and suncream, insect repellent (head/hat nets are good for the flies!)
- Sleeping attire
- Walking poles
A minimum of 7 travellers are required for this trip to depart.
See travel terms and conditions here
Comfortable private vehicle
All meals as per the itinerary
B x 2 | L x 2 | D x 2
2 nights twin bedding and king single bunk bed accommodation
Mt Remarkable Summit Walk, Hiking Gorges, Melrose Heritage Museum Visit, Devonshire Tea and Winery Tastings
- Welcome to Country
- 2 nights comfortable bunk bed accommodation
- Comfortable private transport for the duration of the tour
- All meals and snacks as mentioned on the itinerary inc 2 course dinners and evening nibbles platters
- Winery lunch
- Professionally led walks by our leaders qualified in Bushwalking Leadership and Remote Area First Aid
- Group First Aid kit and emergency communication device
- Big Heart Adventures head sock
- National Park entry fees
- A charity contribution to our Give Back program
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance
- Meals and drinks not stated on itinerary
- Items of a personal nature