SA | Northern Flinders Rangers (Ikara) Gorges, Gaps and Galleries
Join Big Heart Adventures on our Northern Flinders Ranges walking Weekender!
This Weekender brings stunning trails and spectacular views. Connecting you to this ancient landscape and yourself over 4 beautiful days.
Carrying a day pack only on selected moderately challenging day hikes, with comfortable accommodation each night included, this Weekender is the perfect opportunity to Find Yourself Be Yourself and Challenge Yourself!
Professionally led by our qualified and experienced bushwalking leaders – ladies, it’s time to walk with us!
Small group multi day walking Northern Flinders Ranges walking tour for women involving moderate to challenging day walks.
- A good level of fitness is required to walk on the trails on this trip.
- The terrain has inclines, declines, rocks, steep sections and loose ground.
- We recommend you do some hilly walks (up to 15km) before this trip to maximise your enjoyment of the climbs and views.
We make an early start from Adelaide this morning as we head north in our luxury transport, ready for adventure in the stunning Northern Flinders Ranges. After a stop for coffee and a leg stretch at Port Wakefield, we will notice the landscape change as the Flinders Ranges gradually rises on our eastern side.
We cross the ranges before Quorn where we have lunch and head to our first walk at Warren Gorge, a 5km jaunt on the trails. A taste for what is to come, this gorge is just the beginning. We arrive comfortably at Rawnsley Park Station in time for a sunset walk and dinner by the campfire.
Meals Included: snacks, lunch, evening nibbles platter, dinner
A short sunrise walk to Alison Saddle will showcase the Flinders Ranges rainbow as we call it. The colours of the landscape change by the minute as the light touches the lands around the Station. After breakfast, its a scenic drive to our next walks starting point at Black Gap.
We will follow the Heysen Trail for approx. 15km up and over Bridle Gap into the spectacular Wilpena Pound. Lunch will be enjoyed along the way and we have a chance to visit the Wilpena resort café and store. In the afternoon we will complete a short cultural walk with an Adnamathyna guide and learn about the traditional way of life for the indigenous people living in the area. Dinner during sunset will be provided when we return to our accommodation.
Meals Included: breakfast, snacks, lunch, evening nibbles platter, dinner
Today’s main walk is challenging but we do offer alternatives. The walk up to Rawnsley Bluff is rated moderate – difficult but is also a lot of fun and adventurous on the rocky sections.
There are two great viewing points that highlight Wilpena Pound from a different angle and the ranges on the eastern side of the Bluff. We will take a packed lunch as this walk will take 5-6 hours in total. The alternative walk for today is to stick to the easier trails at Rawnsley Station or walk on some of the easier trails at Wilpena Pound.
We share our final evening with a Flinders sunset, and a well-earned Australiana themed 2 course dinner at the Woolshed Restaurant.
Meals Included: breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner
A more relaxing start to today. We check out the trails at Arkaroo Rock, a nearby walk and art site that is best viewed in the morning light.
This walk is no more than 2 hours total with some gentle climbs and is our final opportunity to connect with this gorgeous country and indigenous songline. We will start our journey back to Adelaide mid-morning with comfort stops along the way. Our lunch stop will be at an iconic bakery (known for gourmet pies and quandong tarts)… it is a must.
We take a scenic afternoon drive through the Clare Valley as we arrive back into Adelaide at approx. 5:30pm.
Meals Included: breakfast and snacks
Please contact us before booking flights if you are joining us from interstate.
- Read terms and conditions before booking
- Itinerary and price subject to change at any time
- Travel Insurance is recommended – click here for a quote from Covermore
- Rooming is twin share
- Limited single rooms are available supplement is $300pp – please request this when booking
- Note weather, group member welfare and a range of circumstances outside our control can mean last minute changes to our itinerary are necessary once on tour
- Private transport to and from the Flinders Ranges is included from Adelaide, with multiple pick up points available in transit
- Please contact us before booking flights if you are joining us from interstate
Gear you will need:
- Rainproof jacket and pants (this is a must if wet weather is forecast)
- Gaiters (if you wear shorts)
- Backpack 35 litre
- Water bottle/hydration kit
- Personal medications
- Clothing suitable for bushwalking that is quick drying, warm layers if chilly
- Sun protection such as hat, sunglasses and suncream, insect repellent (head/hat nets are good for the flies!)
- Sleeping attire
- Walking poles
A minimum of 7 travellers are required for this trip to depart.
See travel terms and conditions here
Comfortable private vehicle
All meals as per the itinerary
B x 3 | L x 3 | D x 3
3 nights comfortable accommodation
Numerous moderately graded Northern Flinders Ranges walking experiences.
Cultural walk with an Adnamathyna guide.
- 3 nights comfortable accommodation
- Comfortable private transport for the duration of the tour
- All meals and snacks as mentioned on the itinerary inc 2 course dinners and evening nibbles platters
- Professionally led walks by our leaders qualified in Bushwalking Leadership and Remote Area First Aid
- Cultural walk with an Adnamathyna guide
- Group First Aid Kit and emergency communication device
- Big Heart Adventures head sock
- National Park entry fees
- A charity contribution to our Give Back program
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance
- Meals and drinks not stated on itinerary
- Items of a personal nature