SA | Mt Gambier and Nelson – Caves, Sinkholes, Volcanoes
Join us on a geo-nature immersive adventure through South Australia’s incredible Limestone Coast and Eastern Victoria.
Think caves, sinkholes, craters, limestone cliffs and volcanoes – this adventure includes opportunities to get up close (and inside!) some of these awe inspiring earth creations with everything taken care of by our guides. An active adventure for those wanting to get outside of the comfort zone and feel the experience through all the senses…..Big Heart Adventures and Seven Senses Adventures have combined forces to bring this action packed and immersive Weekend Adventure.
Small group multi day adventure tour involving kayaking, hiking, snorkelling, swimming, cave visits and staying in comfortable accommodation each night.
- Date: 3/12/21 – 6/12/21
- Destination: Mt Gambier, South East of SA
- Type: Mixed Group Weekender
- Group Size: Max 18 plus leaders
- Investment: $1,295 incl GST per person
- This Weekender includes kayaking, snorkelling, swimming, hiking up to 10km on trails with inclines, declines, rocks, steep sections and loose ground.
- We recommend you have confidence in the water and a good level of fitness to maximise your enjoyment of all activities on offer.
We leave Adelaide in our comfy bus around 8am on the South East Freeway heading, well South East of course through towns such as Coonalpyn where silo art and morning tea awaits.
We continue on to Naracoorte Caves for some short walks, optional cave tour and a chance to go way back in time to mega fauna and evidence of ancient creatures at the Wonambi Fossil Centre. We lunch here at the cafe before calling in on a gorgeous winery for tastings of cab sav and shiraz, soaking in the beautiful aspect of vines and landscapes of the Coonawarra. Our final drive for the day will see us arriving into Mount Gambier late afternoon.
We visit Umpherston sinkhole where we will be Welcomed onto Boandik Country. The Boandik people were the first inhabitants of this area and have much to share with us. We then check in to our group accommodation and get ready for an Italian themed dinner tonight. From our dinner location we will see the Cave Gardens in the main street of Mt Gambier lit up by night.
Meals Included: lunch, dinner
You can join us for an optional sunrise adventure this morning on the highest point in town or have a leisurely start before breakfast.
From the high point you will see not just the Valley Lake but also the Blue Lake known for its vivid colour and reflection.
After breakfast we hit the road, firstly to get suited up in full wetsuits ready for an invigorating swim. Get up close with tiny fish and snorkel with us in the sinkholes at Ewen Ponds, swim through each of the three ponds and witness an underworld of life with the freshest water on earth. It’s time to warm up once out of the water, we travel to Mt Schank nearby and get up onto the rim of this extinct volcano to take in the views and size of this little volcano. We take time to explore the rugged coastline of Pt MacDonnell described in one spot as having a Petrified Forest thanks to the geology of this unique coastline. We take a short beach walk and breathe in the freshest of oxygen straight from the southern end of our earth.
We return to Mt Gambier for a BBQ dinner by the Lake as the sun sets and this gives us a chance to test out the kayaks ready for our next day’s adventure!
Meals Included: breakfast, lunch, dinner
After a good night’s rest, we drive over the border today to Nelson where the gorgeous Glenelg River flows through to the ocean. This little town is a popular spot for fishing and boating either by motor or by paddle and is a gateway for the Glenelg River National Park. We head deep into the Park where we set up the kayaks and split into groups. The hikers will head off to complete an easy to moderate 7.5km between stunning launch spots along the Great South West Walk.
Wildlife such as frog, echidna, wallabies, koala and emus are found here making this a mindful and nature immersive experience – plenty of trees to shade and views of the river below. The kayakers will take off from the launch and paddle for a relaxing 8km downstream passing manna gums, stringy barks and blackwood. Bird spotting here may bring sighting of gang gang cockatoos, ravens, wrens, fantails, kookaburras, owls, black duck and shelduck (and more).
We lunch together at our meet spot before each group swaps over to hike or kayak back to our start point.
After a full day of action, we drive back to our accommodation for a dinner in house – think My Kitchen Rules 😉
Meals Included: breakfast, lunch, dinner
Our morning is a relaxing one if you choose. If you need your sleep or space you can take it easy and stay under the covers. If you want to insert one last immersive nature experience, you can choose to head out at sunrise for a therapeutic short forest walk near the Lakes or get the heart rate up with a trail run around the nearby Tower trails.
Our drive home is coastal today with morning tea and a visit first to Pool of Siloam at Beachport. Known for its incredibly high salt content (7 times higher than the ocean) and healing potential, locals have been swimming here for years. We float for as long as we need before heading up and over the dunes for a relaxing swim in the ocean. The bay is protected by a reef bringing protective waters for one last dip. There is also a shower at the Pool of Siloam for one last wash off before we head to Robe for lunch.
This coastal town has many little eateries to choose from, catering to every taste. We wander the coastline examining the overhang of cliffs being eaten away by the mighty ocean. Following the Coorong, with Pink Lakes and tall sand dunes to admire, we journey home rewarded by so much opportunity to experience connection to this beautiful part of SA (and Victoria).
We stop as needed on the way back before hitting the South East Freeway back to Adelaide.
Meals Included: breakfast
Please contact us before booking flights if you are joining us from interstate.
- Read terms and conditions before booking
- Itinerary and price subject to change at any time
- Travel Insurance is recommended – click here for a quote from Covermore
- Rooming is double/twin share with shared bathrooms
- Single rooms with own bathroom are available for a surcharge of $300pp – please request this when booking
- Note weather, group member welfare and a range of circumstances outside our control can mean last minute changes to our itinerary are necessary once on tour
- Private transport is included from Adelaide, with multiple pick up points available en route to Mt Gambier
- Please contact us before booking flights if you are joining us from interstate
Gear you will need:
- Rainproof jacket and pants (this is a must if wet weather is forecast)
- Consider gaiters (if you wear shorts – snakes will be around!)
- Backpack 35 litre
- Water bottle/hydration kit
- Personal medications
- Clothing suitable for bushwalking that is quick drying, warm layers if chilly
- Sun protection such as hat, sunglasses and suncream, insect repellent
- Sleeping attire
- Swimwear and towel
- Running gear if you plan on joining in on a sunrise jaunt
A minimum of 9 travellers are required for this trip to depart.
See travel terms and conditions here
Comfortable private vehicle
All meals as per the itinerary
B x 3 | L x 3 | D x 3
3 nights share house style accommodation
Moderately graded walking trails in and around Mt Gambier, Great South West Walk and Mt Schank, kayaking, sinkhole snorkelling (with full wetsuit and snorkel hire included), salt lake swim, beach swim, cave tour, wine tastings
- 3 nights comfortable accommodation
- Comfortable private transport for the duration of the tour
- All meals as mentioned on the itinerary
- Professionally led walks by our leaders qualified in Bushwalking Leadership, Kayak and Snorkelling Instructor and Remote Area First Aid
- Group First Aid Kit and emergency communication device
- Big Heart Adventures head sock
- National Park entry fees
- A charity contribution to our Give Back program
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance
- Meals and drinks not stated on itinerary
- Items of a personal nature
Lisa Murphy from Big Heart Adventures and Kevin Fergusson from Seven Senses Adventures