KUMANO KODO | JAPAN
Journey to the southern region of Japans Kii Peninsula, an ancient and mysterious land where pilgrimage and spiritual training has occurred for centuries.
You will follow the Nakahechi Route from Takijiri-oji, into the mountains all the way to Nachisan. Hiking the entire Main Route, plus Dainichi-goe, Kogumotori-goe, and Ogumotori-goe sacred trails, a distance of approximately 75km over 6 unforgettable days.
Fully guided walking journey to the Grand Shrines of Kumano Hongu Taisha and Kumano Nachi Taisha, with time to worship, explore and reflect. You will also visit the third Grand Shrine Kumano Hayatama Taisha at the mouth of the Kumano-gawa River, completing the collective Kumano Sanzan.
Enjoy walking with either a large pack or a daypack and have your main luggage transferred daily to your overnight accommodation.
At each mountain village you will stay in varying traditional-style accommodation and dine on lovingly prepared Japanese style food.
Dual Pilgrims and adventure seekers, come with us and immerse yourself in 1000 years of Japanese culture and history.
Small group tour, led by Big Heart Adventures and a local bilingual expert Guide. Autumn trek following the Kumano Kodo’s Nakahechi Route, including meals, accommodation and local transport.
Date: 23/11/19 – 1/12/19
Type: Challenge Trip
Group Size: 10 + Guides/Leaders
Investment: $4,395 per person
Accommodation: Hotel and Japanese Inns
Date 27/09/19 – 06/10/19
Start Madrid, Spain
Finish Madrid, Spain
Type Challenge Trip
Group Size 12-15 + Host
Investment $2,499 per person | twin share
Know a charity or cause that would like to be involved – please contact us!
International Flights NOT included.
Contact us for assistance
All meals as per the itinerary
B x 8 | L x 7 | D x 8
Train (Shingu to Tanabe)
2 nights Hotel (single room),
6 nights Japanese Inns (twin share)
Guided Kumano Kodo Trek – Nakahechi Route,
Visit to Kumano Hongu Taisha, Kumano Nachi Taisha, Kumano Hayatama Taisha
Visit to Oyunohara
Please note itinerary can be subject to change at anytime.
- Sections of the Kumano Kodo do get damaged during severe weather events and detours may be in place
- See full terms and conditions on our booking form
- A minimum number of 6 travellers are required for this trip to depart
- Itinerary and price subject to change at any time
- Japanese style accommodation and food is traditional on the Kumano Kodo which includes sleeping on futons on the floor and enjoying a variety of cuisines offered exclusively for the region. Please note that not all dietary requests can be catered for and MUST be declared at time of booking. Note dietary requirements cannot be added while travelling on this tour
A moderate-high level of fitness is required to complete the Kumano Kodo – Nakahechi Route. Itinerary is based on full days hiking with a daypack. Rocky terrain and steep inclines/declines feature in extended sections of this trail and some physical preparation is recommended prior to departure.
- Big Heart Adventures ioMerino hiking top and head sock
- Big Heart Adventures trip specific training sessions and or program
- Big Heart Adventures discount card for pre-departure purchases at Scouts Outdoor Centre (15% off)
- Big Heart Adventures experienced Outdoor Leader with you
- Big Heart Adventures journal
- Group First Aid kit and emergency communication device
- A comprehensive pre-departure information kit
- Hiking the Kumano Kodo – Nakahechi Route
- Accommodation (single room – Western Style) in Tanabe on first and last nights of tour
- Accommodation (twin share room – varying Japanese Style) along the trail
- An Onsen (Japanese bath) is offered at each night’s accommodation
- Main luggage (1 bag per person) is transferred each day to your overnight accommodation
- Visit with time to explore and reflect at Oyunohara
- Visit with time to worship, explore and reflect at the Kumano Sanzan (all 3 Great Shrines)
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, dinners) as per itinerary for the duration of the tour – Japanese Style
- Train from Shingu Station to Kii-Tanabe Station
- Bus transport during the tour
- Travel arrangements to Tanabe on Day 1 (Tour starts late afternoon on this day in Tanabe)
- Travel arrangements from Tanabe on final day (Tour ends the morning of this day in Tanabe)
- International flights
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance
- Meals and drinks not stated on itinerary
Your hosts: Ian Murphy and Mike Rhodes
Lisa is the founder of Big Heart Adventures and brings an extensive portfolio of personal adventure travel as well as boundless enthusiasm & proven expertise in travel planning.
Lisa’s attention to detail and passion for curating unique experiences has allowed her to plan travel, adventures & holidays for an extensive demographic of clients over many years.
An experienced adventure traveller, having completed expeditions including the Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea, Inca Trail in Peru, Mt Kinabalu in Sabah, Overland Track in Tasmania, Milford and Routeburn Tracks in New Zealand to name a few, Lisa knows first-hand the challenges and amazing reward that exploring the outdoors adds to your life.
Amanda Panazzolo is originally from Adelaide though she has lived in Western Australia and for a short time in the UK. Travel is in her blood and she has shared many adventures with her husband and three children in Australia and throughout the world. She enjoys many styles of travel including hiking and camping though sometimes she also likes having access to a few extra luxuries and an art gallery or two.
A “jack of all trades” but most recently she was a secondary school tourism teacher and a graduate in Ecotourism studies. Travel has always been her first passion, walking and hiking were later additions to her list of hobbies. With her husband in tow, Amanda walked 400 km of the Frances route of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in 2016 and then solo in 2017 for 700km of the same path. The Camino is a call to self and it has been calling her name for many years.